Friday, March 02, 2007

It's off to France for the day!


Wednesday Bill took the day from work to join me on a USO trip to the Potter's Village of Soufflenheim just across the border in France. This was part of my Valentine's Day gift from him and was a rare treat for me to have him all to myself for the day. Soufflenheim is famous for its pottery and has been populated with potters since the Emperor Barberrouse granted the guild the exclusive rights to the clay in the neighboring forest. The streets are lined with halftimbered houses and little signs directing people to the various pottery shops and workshops throughout the town. The type of pottery that they make in Soufflenheim is a glazed type of pottery with hand painted flowers or other designs. It is made to be used 'everyday' as one of the potters told us. It can be used in the oven, in the microwave and even on top of a gas stove. I bought a few smaller pieces to go with the larger lidded casserole dish that I already have.

7 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh, this looks like a wonderful way to spend the day! I LOVE pottery! My fav is a chalice and plate I serve communion from!

Susie said...

How fun!! thanks for visiting my blog!!

Diana said...

Ooh I do like that song!! And how cool to get to just "go to France for the day"! LOL

Margaret said...

Wow that is so cool I have taken several pottery classes, I love to throw.

Vicky said...

What can I say!!! Great photos and what a great experience. My husband and i have been toying around with the idea of doing some traveling (other than down south). I bet you know some really great places to go1. The pottery is very pretty, great colors and the flowers are cute.

Scrappytbear said...

So very very cool! I cannot imagine BEING places like that! LOL And the things you see...what are all thsoe lined up dishes with the hollows in them? Awesome!

DivaMom96 said...

Wow - the cool things you get to see there. What a fantastic opportunity for you. Coooool pottery!