Monday, February 05, 2007

Out of my comfort zone!

Remember the Survivor Contest I am participating in on the Scrapbook Chalet web site? I am still in! Whoohooo! The challenge for us this week was a DOOZIE! We had to create not one, not two, but THREE items. Two of them were to be valentine cards and the third one is to do a canvas creation. I have made a few cards before but they are just not my thing...I guess I am just used to working on a larger scale and with photos or something. The canvas was something I have been wanting to experiment with, but also...a new medium for me, I wasn't even sure where to find one. Luckily it was a lot easier to find a canvas then I thought it was going to be. The subject of my canvas creation is a poem that my husband Bill had on a card that we had displayed. He asked me a few weeks ago to do something with it....this was perfect! I pulled out all sorts of goodies and just let myself go. It is a real collage of stuff. I like it!



The cards were a bigger challenge than the canvas really. I actually made one Sunday night but it just didn't 'click' with my when it was finished, so I went to bed and tried again today. MUCH better! I made one for Colin and one for Bill. (I made a special valentine gift for Jeffrey that I can show you tomorrow.) Colin told me today that boy's valentines should not have too much pink on them...and if they do have pink there should be more red and also a dark 'boy color' too. So I made sure to follow the 'rules' for his card. I think he will like the bottle cap embellishment...he is always picking them up!




For Bill's card I went with a simple bold design since that is what he likes best. It is weird how something so 'simple' can take as long as a complicated layout sometimes!! Ah well....I am happy with them both so lets keep our fingers crossed that the ladies who vote will like them too!

3 comments:

Oscar T. Grouch said...

beautiful cards, and love your canvas.

Jaci Clark said...

WOW, Didi! I mean wow!!! You should definitely "play" out of your comfort zone more often! Your things are FAB!!!

Good luck with the contest!!

Cheers!

Vicky said...

Cute, fun cards and I love the canvas. Great job, and congrats on still being in the running!